Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ski Instructor and No AmeriCorps

Hey everyone,


The Path to Ski Instructor

So for most of the season, snowboarding has had enough lessons so that I work 4-5 days a week.  That's lead me to do things like
Level 2 Snowboard Clinics (pics below)

All those people are snowboard Instructors

Working on Carving

And Listening to the Instructor-Trainer (guy standing up)
But recently there have been several days with ZERO snowboard kids.  For that reason, I decided to put these on...

Feels so weird!
And go to Ski Clinics!


Yes, that is a half pipe.
And, because I kicked some butt in said-clinic, I got cleared to teach skiing!

And now I have new homework...

(Objective is to come up with a 5 step progression for each of the "Teach" bulletins.  WEE) 

(And, naturally, as soon as I did that the snowboarding lessons exploded again.  Either way though, it's nice to know I have lessons.)

And switching gears (although somewhat related)


No AmeriCorps


So remember I said I got accepted into this:

AmeriCorps NCCC


And they actually even told me I'd be going here:

Denver
BUT...


I'm not gonna go.

(WHYYYY???)

Well it's basically because of the timing. 

For about two and a half years I've been trying to get myself to where I am now.  I've worked really hard, done lots of professional development, and I'm finally in a position where I have a winter and a summer job(!).  

Also, the decision was made slightly easier by AmeriCorps telling me that I actually can apply next year as well.  I thought you couldn't be 24 in the program.  Turns out you just can't be 25.

I've been thinking about it, and what I'd really like to do at this point is continue progressing as an instructor.  Next winter (iA) I will be able to continue to build on my certifications, and hopefully will be able to teach skiing and snowboarding.  Next summer (iA again), I might be able to get out and begin to work as a field instructor which has been my goal since I was 16 years old.


For these reasons, it makes more sense to me to continue on this path, rather than 10 months to do Community Service.

Which means...

I'll get more time with these crazy people!



And more seasons to enjoy this!
We got Snow!!!!!
Enjoy!
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment